Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this an error?"

Kevin A posted:

You seem to misconstrue my words.  I care what the rule book says.  What I don't care about is what some average parent keeping the score thinks what an error is or isn't.  I have had scorers come up to me and ask me.  Sometimes I know and will give an opinion and if I am not familiar with the scoring rule I will say so.

I prefer an experienced scorer do the book.  The more knowledgeable the better.  But there maybe times where the official call is that its on  the pitcher.  But I know and my son knows he should have had that ball. I have NEVER approached a coach or scorer and questioned a decision.  May have discussed the particulars if they asked but I never attempted to make up or change someones mind.  I dont worry what is an error or isn't.     Do I care that the scorer gave the left fielder an error over the second baseman who tried to catch the throw?  No.  I only concern myself with my son, his play behind the plate and help him become a better receiver.  Like I said...There maybe a pitch that is put on the pitcher as a wild pitch but something my son should have caught.  And whose the hardest on him about those?  He is.  Let the coach address any other errors.  Its not my job and all I am going to do talking about something is or isnt an error is make the kids parents near me uncomfortable.

The main reason I dont care is, many times the scorer just doesn't have the experience, knowledge or training.  So I just concern myself with my son and cheer on the rest of the team...

I don’t believe I misconstrued anything. You aren’t willing to accept what some average parent keeping the score thinks what an error is or isn't. The problem is, the rules say what records will be kept and you don’t get to choose who keeps score to get that done.

You say: But there maybe times where the official call is that its on  the pitcher.  But I know and my son knows he should have had that ball. That shows me you’re confusing the records as required by the rules and your personal feelings. They aren’t the same thing!

Obviously you do care about how the game is scored, and to me that’s great. You just don’t agree with some of the scoring rules, but believe me you aren’t alone! Unfortunately, the rules are what they are and everyone has to live with them.

If I had my druthers, all scorers at the HS level would be assigned, paid, and educated the same way umpires are, but that ain’t gonna happen any time soon. Around here an umpire gets I believe $65 per game. For a school with a JV team and a 26 game schedule with 13 games being at home, that’s $2,535 a year and doesn’t count the scrimmages.  If the scorer only got $50, that’s another $650 a year. It’s a drop in the buck for some schools, but I suspect it’s a Hell of a lot of $$$$$ for the vast majority. So until then, people will have to live with what they have because records are gonna be kept.

On a slightly different note, since you’re a catcher’s dad you might get a hoot out of seeing some stats I do specifically for catchers. Go to https://www.infosports.com/sco...images/defense17.pdf and go down to page 22. I generated those stats to try to give catchers a little recognition for doing a thankless job.