Skip to main content

Reply to "Is This How Offers Work?"

BaseballinCT posted:

The RC of a mid-major D-1 school has been following my 2019 all spring and summer.  RC has set up an unofficial visit this week and requested that my wife and I attend so we can meet the HC and staff, ask questions, tour the facility, etc.  Son's AAU coach has a great relationship with the HC and RC.  I asked AAU coach if they will make an offer.  Based on the experience of AAU coaches former players recruited by this school, he told me to expect the HC to say that when my son is ready to receive an offer from them, they will make one. In other words, they won't make an offer until he/we tell them we want an offer.  

Don't get me wrong - if my son were to receive an offer, he would respectfully tell them it is too soon in the process.  But my question is - is this how it typically works? Seems like a "chicken/egg" thing so they don't have an offer hanging out there for a while.  Maybe they don't love him enough to straight out offer him.  If they do this, how would we even know if they're offering $ or just a roster spot?

Anyone experienced this scenario?   

This happened with my son a couple of times...