Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this normal?"

Midlo Dad posted:

If this is your son's possible ticket to an Ivy League opportunity, I should think you would pursue it even if it might mean that he gives up a lot of playing time.  I do think you could ask the coaches outright what the rules would be upon transfer, but it sounds like maybe they're thinking they can get him eligible right away, hence the contact now, in between semesters.

I hear you saying your son is at a high academic school already, but I'm not sure you and I are on the same page as to what "high academic" means.  The lifetime earnings of your typical Ivy League grad far exceed those of grads from many very respectable schools.  Using baseball as a means of successfully making that life path jump sounds like the smart play to me.  And since you're not describing him as a pro prospect, he's at worst going from starter to bench player for what amounts to his final three seasons.  Everyone has to make his own decision, but if this were my son, I would urge him to do this even if it ended up costing him his playing time. 

We are probably on the same page. I have family that are profs at Dartmouth and Chicago, as well as JHU, WUSTL, and UCLA, among others. We are comfortable with my son's decision.