Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this real or another camp tactic?"

FYI...  We have noticed that many DIII colleges subscribe to scout level crosschecker.  There they can get all the information they need to contact a player and have knowledge of the player's ability.  Actually many, many others simply scour the PG profiles to recruit players and fill camps. I would say that pretty much every player that has attended a PG event gets camp information from various colleges. 

By the way, this is not limited to DIII, but DIII colleges typically have the smallest recruiting budgets.  Because of that they can't travel as much and they will look for events that will actually pay them to attend.  For many, not all, all they need to see is academic achievement.   If baseball is important and DIII high academics fits your son's goals, I would suggest researching the baseball program as much as the academic stature of the colleges.  If baseball is not important then base things on cost and academics alone, or whatever else is important to you.

I will say this, if you have amazing grades and test score, there are colleges out there that will want you on their baseball team.  They won't care if you are a good player or not.  It isn't very hard to find them with a little research. If you don't believe, send them an email with all your academic records and add "I would also like to play baseball". When I coached in small college we were instructed to follow up on all of those types and we were rewarded, in some way, if they ended up at the school.

One thing about DIII camps, they really are looking for recruits. 

One last thing,  none of the above pertains to the many outstanding baseball programs at the DIII level.  And some of those are also highly regarded academic institutions.  There are DIII coaches out there that are just as good as the top DI coaches.  Academics all alone won't get you on their roster, but it still helps.