Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this worth the time?"

BOF posted:

Here is a way to test their sincere interest. 

Tell them that your son has a very busy schedule and can't stay for the whole camp. He has the time to come in and pitch a few innings and leave. If he can fit this into his busy schedule would they pro-rate the cost for his time spent there? $50 or $100? 

Per NCAA guidelines they can not make the camp free, but at least when my son was being recruited a college did just this. Their camp was a two day event and my son came in, warmed up, pitched and then left. I don't remember the details, but I think he paid 25% of the fee.

Like others have speculated they have seen enough of him to have a pretty good idea what they want to do so skipping the camp probably has little impact.  

That's a good idea.  Son attended a camp and was asked to come back to a follow-up camp for a second look at no charge (regarding NCAA, guess they figured it wasn't free since he paid for the first).

It would also be smart, as RG and Mid point out, to ask what their level of interest is and, if interest is reasonably strong, if there is a chance that any $ will be offered.

I also meant to add earlier about walk-ons... pretty sure you are already aware - there is true walk-on and varying degrees of preferred walk on.  If that is the path they continue to push, ask for clarification of what their meaning of walk on is as it relates to your son.  

I am reading back my post and realize that i am responding to you as if to suggest you are taking these actions.  Obviously, son should be handling as much as possible.  Although, with issues where your $ is directly involved, nothing wrong with you being directly involved as well.

Last edited by cabbagedad