Skip to main content

Reply to "Is this worth the time?"

Iowamom23 posted:
BOF posted:

Here is a way to test their sincere interest. 

Tell them that your son has a very busy schedule and can't stay for the whole camp. He has the time to come in and pitch a few innings and leave. If he can fit this into his busy schedule would they pro-rate the cost for his time spent there? $50 or $100? 

This sounds like a good plan.

My experience say's don't go unless it's a dream school. The reason being they've already seen him throw a bunch. If they wanted him they would have already made their intentions clear. NCAA coaches don't dilly dally . If they want you there is no ambiguity . It sounds like they're trying to get him on campus as a potential walk on . Which isn't bad, but still it is lacking. They don't love him.

Also, a RC friend once told me " The more we see a guy....the more we find wrong with him"

For a pitcher , if the HC, RC and PC saw him throw and there wasn't an offer , you cross that school off the list. You mark it ' Not Interested' and move on.That is important because hanging on to the idea that they might like you or offer you later is a waste of time and just clouds your judgment. In recruiting there is never a voluntary 'NO' from a school. However, if your son calls and asks they will indeed tell him 'No'.....But he has to ask.

The biggest hang up in recruiting is that kids and parents do not know how to gauge real interest.

You're looking for the school that loves the player. It doesn't matter if it's a D1, D2 or D3 school. You pick the school that is most excited about the 'Get' . The school that truly believes your son will help them win games. That's what you are looking for.

NCAA baseball coaches get paid to win. Period. They recruit players that help them do that. If HC's don't win games, they get fired.

But if you insist on going to camp definitely ask for the '1 day ' rate . My son was recruited as a pitcher and during the recruiting cycle I did this several times. I would call and just say " Because of a prior commitment he is only available for 1 day at the camp and can only throw a few innings , can you adjust the rate for 1 day only?" ......They always prorated the cost for me

Last edited by StrainedOblique