Skip to main content

Reply to "Is Travel Ball a necessity?"

Depends. He has to be seen at some point by someone (college coach) who gives yes to him playing at the next level. So if the HS he goes to is a powerhouse that has lots of boys go to college then he might be seen at HS games, but generally college coaches don't go to random HS games. They are in season and are only going to the ones where they have a specific interest.

If he has incredibly dominate tools of some sort (speed  running, velocity as a pitcher, hitting with power) then maybe. But ultimately he needs to be seen by decision makers and then stand out among that group.

Lots of ways to get there. The more the tools the less exposure needed.

As a college coach (I am not), I would be wondering what a young man that wants to play in college was doing in summer that was more important that being on a summer team. There are LOTS of reasons (has to work to help family, cost of travel ball, etc.). But college ball takes effort. Lots of off season and off the field training. I would be looking for someone who is willing to put in that time. Not playing summer ball would make me wonder. If the player stood out to me in some manner I might investigate further, if not, I would go on to the player who demonstrates same type of skills and I can see that trait easily as well.

There are MANY levels of summer travel ball. It is not necessary to travel the country or even multiple states to play college ball at some level. My son who is playing D1 at a mid major, rarely traveled outside a 90 minute drive time. Maybe twice a year and those were to neighboring states. But there is 11 D1 colleges in our state, and maybe 40 college baseball teams, so we could localize and still be seen. Lots of very high profile tournaments were played within that 90 mile range

Ultimately he has to be seen in some manner or other.Target schools he would be interested in and develop a plan to do that.