Skip to main content

Reply to "Is Travel Ball a necessity?"

First, I'm defining travel as high level competition, not community based. I'm also discussing starting from the high school level and college exposure.

Is travel ball a necessity? No. Is it the advised path? It depends on what a player is looking for in his future for baseball. I don't believe a D3 prospect has to play travel. He needs to attend the appropriate showcases or camps for exposure. 

A D1 and D2 prospect is going to get better exposure through playing travel. If a player aspires to play locally he may get away with not playing travel.

i saw two pluses to playing travel. Exposure is the obvious benefit. The other major benefit is being around such a level of talent on the team and on the field it pushes the player beyond what he may otherwise be pushed.

My son was his high school team's stud. When he played Legion after his senior year of high school he was his team's stud. On his travel team he couldn't physically or mentally rest for a second for fear of losing his position. The talent difference between players three and the end of the roster was very small.

In the opposing dugout was top talent game after game. He constantly faced 87-92. There was never a cream puff pitcher on the mound like high school and Legion.

I strongly feel playing 16u after freshman year of high school had a lot to do with him being the first soph opening day starter in six years at his high school. From playing on the 16u team he was invited to play for an 18u showcase team before he ever stepped on a high school varsity field.

I convinced the dad of one of the high school players to attend one of my son's scout league games. His response? "OMG! I didn't believe there were this many high school players playing at this level." I responded, "Yep! My son is a face in the crowd on this field."

Last edited by RJM