Skip to main content

Reply to "Is Travel Ball a necessity?"

Also, a top level team is different than a top level organization.  My son played for a couple different organizations from 10U-14U.  I started a team for his 15U/16U summers with kids we knew /  had met the previous years.  Good coaches (former MILB guy).  We were very good....won 4 of 7 tourneys....34-7 record  and won a big tourney at the end of the year that nobody would have given us a shot at if you'd have asked in June.  That team (we carried 12-13 regulars plus some sub pitchers) ended up having 5 D1's (3 regulars), 4 D2's (all regulars) and 4 Juco kids.  BUT....it took until the last week of the 16U summer until the first real college contact for any of them.  The team split up due to football and the different levels of desire that our kids had.  7 went to a big organization here in Ohio...2 ended up at D2's and the other  5 got immediate D1 attention early the next summer (rising senior) and all 7 had committed by the end of July....B1G, Big 12,  ACC, MAC (2)...another could have played D1 but joined the Marines after HS.    The funny thing is, I ran into a well known area college/hs baseball guy the next year and he commented ....."man, that 15U/16U team you guys had was loaded"   I guess my point is, we had a great team at 15/16....but we were new and not part of a well known organization.  I really believe if we'd have kept those guys together and just wore the jerseys of a big name org that we'd have had another 3 or 4 of those guys end up at D1's.