Skip to main content

Reply to "Is Travel Ball a necessity?"

A few points.  Would love to see these travel teams that have a few D1 players and then ALL the rest are D3.  And also please don't classify tournaments as D3 tournaments!  

"A vast majority of these teams are filled with future D3 talent and they play other teams filled with future D3 talent, and the programs cost $2500+ plus gas & hotels etc.  if not more"

Most of these guys will NOT play D3!!  I'm sorry but don't think everyone gets recruited to play collegiately!  Our 2017 played on a nationally known travel team and not everyone on the team is playing next year, despite their hopes and dreams.  Some don't want to go just anywhere to play and hung it up, will play club, or may try and walk on.  

Two years ago Amherst beat Dartmouth.  Maybe not the best D3 or the best D1 and maybe Dartmouth did not take it seriously or play their top guys.  But this distinction between D1 and D3 is not always so clear cut, it is overlapping.  I don't mean to have a chip on my shoulder.  Clearly D1 boys get drafted and get $.  Clearly many D3 players could not make it at a D1 team.  But there are plenty of guys who could, and there are loads of D1 guys who aren't any better.  It is the rare kid who gets the chance to play collegiately at all, despite playing travel ball for years.

OK I hope you get my point.

Onto the travel question...summer baseball CAN put you in front of college coaches, if the team has the talent and plays in places coaches go.  That can be D1, D3, D2 and JUCO...not some line like only D3 colleges scout this tournament, or only D1 guys at PG WWBA.  It is all about what is right for YOUR kid given his talent, his collegiate aspirations, and your checkbook limits.  High academic college aspirants will almost have to supplement travel, even on top teams and in top tournaments, with some of the higher academic showcases or camps.  Geography will matter -- a kid targeting to play in the south or southeast is going to have to figure out how to get in front of coaches of those schools, whether on a travel team at WWBA or the like or at the college specific camps.  

This is not a one size fits all question.