Skip to main content

Reply to "Is Travel Ball a necessity?"

Nice.  This thread is becoming another valuable read for those entering the process.

Here's an aspect that I think is often overlooked when choosing the travel ball path...

Everyone talks about finding the travel teams that will go to the big events in Arizona, Georgia, etc.  Some players will end up playing at a college somewhere across the country or otherwise far from home.  But the reality is that the large majority of players will end up in-state or at a neighboring state (in-state/neighboring state tuition, closer to family and friends, more friends at those schools, colleges more likely to recruit in-state, social and geographical comfort level, etc. ).  A bit of roster browsing will drive this point home.  So, if the player likely falls into this bucket, logic would dictate to find a decent travel program that focuses on getting in front of schools in the immediate region.

It seems that most regions have such programs and this route can be far more cost-effective and realistically focused.  I think, in some other regions, there are probably opportunities for more travel teams to take this approach.  

I realize that those big national events attract RC's/HC's from schools from all parts of the country.  But those same RC's/HC's attend the better local and regional events as well.   And there are plenty of schools that don't have  the budgets to travel to the national events.

Edit to add:  If you take this immediate regional approach and then get personal invites to some of the larger national events, you then know it is much more likely to be worth while.  So, this approach could cover most everyone...  The outliers - the early D1 stud will know that national events will likely have value to them unless they, too, want to stay close to home.  High academics may include a regional Stanford Camp/Headfirst/PG Academic event.

Last edited by cabbagedad