Skip to main content

Reply to "Is Travel Ball a necessity?"

CaCO3Girl posted:
SanDiegoRealist posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

If a kid truly wants to play, is willing to go anywhere, his parents can afford it, and has even a high school level talent there is a school that he can play at.

I've heard of multiple pitchers throwing 75 at a D3.  Some D3's can beat low level D1's every day of the week, but some D3's would get beat by a 16u travel team every day of the week.  Not all D3's are created equal. 

So you are guaranteeing this? You know this definitively? You act as though all you have to do is have the desire and the wallet and you will be able to play college baseball. That is not the case, and if you do get into a D3 program that has 50 guys on the roster (which seems to be the scenario you are painting), heaven help that player. Your contention that there are 16U teams who can beat some D3s is just ridiculous.

I didn't mean to offend ANYONE who had a kid playing or planning to play D3, I'm talking about the middle of nowhere, maybe won 3 games last year D3. As PG said there is a HUGE difference in talent levels across all of the D3 schools. 

So, yes, I'm sure, if a kid is that determined, his parents will support this, and he's willing to go anywhere, then yes there is a school he can play at. As for my 16u statement...well several more knowledgeable people have corroborated this. We can take this to a PM if you would like?

We live two blocks from a D3 that is like CaCO3Girl describes. They just changed coaches, have lost most of their games the last two years and while I'm not positive about the 16u statement, I KNOW our high school varsity team would beat them, and the JV team would probably have as well.

Here's what I think CaCO3Girl is talking about.

One of our teammates was a solid first baseman in his HS career, good pitcher who didn't throw hard, but threw strikes. He got some interest from small D3s, including the one in our town, and could have played baseball for them.

He's also a REALLY smart honors kid who made the decision to take the academic free ride at a top end college where he has no shot at baseball.

So yes, I think everybody COULD find a place to play if that's what they REALLY want and they are willing to make the many compromises to do it. Most people aren't, and most people are right not to.