Skip to main content

Reply to "Is travel baseball as we "used" to know it dead in Maryland?"

Larry - I would have to agree with you. As a fellow "old school" guy, I believe these showcase teams can help players, but mainly in the fall season. While they do get players in front of some scouts eyes, they do not instill the daily work ethic it takes to have longevity in the sport. Players need to develop their skills in the spring and the summer. Teams that practice the repetitions that a player must have allow players to develop more. Seeing a player once or twice a week allows for little time for character development and instilling good practice habits. While every great player needs to be self-motivated, it is our job as coaches to help our players see value in work and make sure they are practicing the techniques they need to improve on. Showcase teams show players - I do not believe they develop players. Having helped develop players as a HS coach, I have seen the importance of overseeing workouts and practices. Having coached at the D1 level, I have learned that a HS or travel coach is a better source of information about a kid's work ethic and character than a showcase coach who sees a kid once or twice a week. Travel teams may be dying, but I believe it will be detrimental in the long run for the next generation of players. In my opinion, showcase teams are better in the fall - spring and summer are better for player development. - Just a thought.
Last edited by hocobaseballfan