Skip to main content

Reply to "Is travel baseball as we "used" to know it dead in Maryland?"

Rising seniors and quality juniors showcasing in showcase events, I think makes sense.

It just seems that more and more, players - of all abilities - are playing on teams that simply are brought together to play in 'showcase-type' tournaments. Or, with more and more Fall showcase teams playing weekend tournaments at colleges....inevitably, this concept will (already is) creep into the summer season. You know the type of tournament I'm talking....every Thurs night, players heading off so they are ready to play on Friday in some far-flung tournament. Returning on Sunday (sometimes Monday). There's no practicing or working on skill developments. More and more, it's all about game competition. Where the money comes from to fund all of this is another whole topic.

The issue of instincts and the assessment of players' instincts is a very interesting topic. Again, I say that there is way to much importance placed upon pitching velocity in 60 times. A high school coach once commented to me that if you took the radar guns and stopwatches away from most of the college recruiters, the wouldn't be able to do their job. I tend to agree. Sorry to wander a bit.

I just think that players play to many games and do not have nearly enough practices. Today's 'travel' teams almost don't allow time for practices. They are too busy playing in games or heading to the next big tournament.
Last edited by baseballguy