Skip to main content

Reply to "Is travel baseball as we "used" to know it dead in Maryland?"

Baseballson never played Legion ball, but my general perception is that Legion ball here is down, both in terms of number of teams and the quality of those teams. Others more knowledgable than I can comment on that.

As far as exposure goes, I think many of the travel teams really do a great job of that, especially if you go to certain tournaments such as Johnstown, East Cobb, Jupiter/WWBA Championship. I fully understand and agree with that. I even understand players attending showcase events/camps to gain exposure.

I guess where I fall off a bit is when a team or a player's focus seems more on simply gaining exposure, more exposure, and, eventually, even more exposure. It just seems that, increasingly, today's travel teams hardly ever practice and when they do...it is a few rounds of BP, very little throwing, and - maybe - a round of infield/outfield. Pitchers may throw a bullpen here or there. I just believe that players spend less and less time - especially on summer/fall travel teams - learning and practicing the finer points of the game. Travel teams used to be something special....special teams with special players....now, not so much.

I understand that there are still some great quality travel programs out there. But, my guess is, PG could make the WWBA event in late October a month-long event if he wanted to open it up to an unlimited number of teams. That is, of course, if he didn't care about the quality of the teams.