Skip to main content

Reply to "Is travel baseball as we "used" to know it dead in Maryland?"

I may be wrong, but it seems like 'back in the day' teams came together, practiced, played in (and usually won) whatever league they happened to play in....and then traveled out to play in regional or national tournaments. I think their are still a few teams that follow that sort of route.

However, more and more it seems that now the term 'travel or showcase team' is applied to teams that come together to simply to play in regional or national tournaments. In putting these teams together and taking them on the road, there is no doubt benefit to playing out of area teams. However, often sacrificed is the practice sessions where the game is learned. If the player doesn't happen to play for one of the better high school programs....where is he supposed to learn and develop?

I may be wrong in this, but it also seems to me that there are fewer and fewer good baseball coaches in their 20's and early 30's. Where are the great coaches of tomorrow being groomed? With fewer practices being held, where do the younger coaches get the opportunity to develop their coaching skills?