Skip to main content

Reply to "is UA/BBF worthwhile?"

I hope I didn't disparage BFF too much. My son attended two BBF events intended for younger players. Like @Ripken Fans son, he attended them very early (7th grade, 8th grade) as a way to gain exposure to showcase-style events. We did them because they weren't too expensive and most importantly, were held at the high school down the street. While understandably  way too early for recruiting benefit, they did give my son a lot of experience and more importantly, confidence. As a result of these events he was invited to several camps which were, for the most part, very expensive. Like REALLY expensive. Naturally we did not attend. In subsequent years he was invited to some Preseason All-American events but by then we knew where he was recruiting-wise and didn't think they would add benefit. 

So they were a big part of my son's early journey and I wouldn't change it, but that's because we didn't have unrealistic expectations.

The reason PBR and PG are much better in HS is simply because you can attend a showcase, have your metrics recorded, post video, and have a wealth of data available to use as comparison in order to understand where you stand amongst your peers. While you can see your profile on BBF, you cannot parse data like you can with PBR and PG.