Skip to main content

Reply to "It can be a business and a tough one"

Originally Posted by infielddad:
Originally Posted by roothog66:
Originally Posted by justbaseball:

There are always ways...for them to get you out of there.

Would you (or your son) stay if coach told you (or your son), 'yeah, you've got your scholarship for 4 years for sure, but if you stay you will never see the field again.'

Those conversations do and will continue to happen for as long as coaches get a paycheck...and maybe longer.

I get the point, but I do think this will slow up the trend towards offering 8th and 9th grade players. Once you're looking at a four year scholly, you have entered territory where a kid might actually be willing to come to school anyway. Especially if he has really fallen in stock to the point where a coach makes that kind of threat.

I can certainly understand your perspective.  On the other hand, I think it could also be argued such offers could increase in numbers and then, for some,  the offer won't be there in 4-5 years, before the NLI is signed and anything is guaranteed for 4 years, as the coaches (who may not be the same)  see how that player has matured and progressed. Unless and until the NCAA steps in, which seems doubtful, guarantees, 11.7, winning, and being a non-revenue sport or at least partially dependent on football/basketball make the friction more rather than less likely, in my view. It is just a question of where the friction forces the coach to make decisions.

I can see the entire landscape starting to change to something that resembles football and basketball where, unlike baseball currently, the term "commitment" is a relatively loose term which no one seems to honor.