Skip to main content

Reply to "It can be a business and a tough one"

If the choice for my child was to get a decent education that would secure his future or have the possibility to play baseball for a couple more years, assuming he had no real shot at going high in the draft, I would very much counsel him to deny it.

Even though this is a baseball site isn't that what some of the older members have counseled?  Education should be considered first, baseball second.

Of course!!

But what we are trying to convey to you is that it doesn't always work the way you think it will.  And don't be so certain you will feel the same way if/when this scenario stares your son (and you too!!) in the face.

There are many...many things in my life that seemed so clear...until they were there right in front of me.  I have seen enough firsthand to know that baseball will be chosen far more often than I would have thought.  While I do think it is wise to establish your goals and guidelines upfront (it creates a self-made hurdle you would have to clear if the decision comes), I do not feel 100% confident that I would have acted any different had I/we been forced into that position.

Last edited by justbaseball