Skip to main content

Reply to "It can be a business and a tough one"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

CaGirl,

Sometimes it is not that cut & dried.

Sometimes the choices are University A, maybe 75th in nation-academically but something about baseball that just doesn't make student-athlete comfortable....high turnover of players, heard bad things about coach(es), hard on pitcher's arm, etc, etc.

Other choices might include 125th ranked school with fewer or none of the baseball issues.Maybe the student-athlete just likes the campus, people better in 2nd university.

IMO, there are valid reasons to choose a university other than University A.

I hope that makes sense.

Refish I think you misunderstood.  The question was if Player A has a 4 year scholarship but was told by a new coach in year 2 that he would NEVER see the field again, should that player stay and finish his degree with his scholarship even though he wouldn't be playing baseball anymore, OR should that player leave University A and try for University B so he could still play baseball.

Ca,

It might still the same. If your son/daughter hated the college he/she was at (forget baseball), it probably wouldn't be conducive to their learning to stay.  Now throw baseball in the mix. Coach says, "son, you aren't playing anymore but you will run every day, you will be in charge of dugout/locker room cleanup". That would be a very, very unpleasant experience for 3-4 more years. Yeah, I would probably encourage my son/daughter to leave that situation. And I might do even it if he/she was NOT even going to play baseball/softball at the second university.

Last edited by RedFishFool