Skip to main content

Reply to "It can be a business and a tough one"

Roothog66...4 year deals are only committed too at the time of signing. So, whether it was offered at the verbal, it only becomes reality in November of senior year. If a player throws 84 and never improves, its likely that Vandy would not offer a 4 year guarantee.

Now, here is my two cents having personal experience. PO jr signed a DI NLI with a 4 year guarantee. Received a academic scholarship as well from the business school, mantained a 3.0 GPA to be eligible for both. Freshman year baseball went well by most standards 3-1. Sophomore year was told he would be a redshirt because 2 LHP transfers & 2 LHP incoming. During his sophomore year he worked hard, but was limited to ball boy, primary shagger, weekend bagel pick boy and first class radar gun operator with high level charting skills. In hindsight, this was all done in an effort to beat him down so he would quit & they would get his scholarship back. That did not work, so in late April he was told he was no longer in their future plans. They would honor his scholarship, but he would only see the field in the capacity of aforementioned duties. Or, they would help him transfer, give him a release and go on his merry way.

His release stated, he could not transfer in conference. NCAA rules would still require one year of sitting out. JC was not an option as he would be a junior academically with 3 years eligibility. 

All said and done, it cost our family money walking away from about 55% scholarship. But who wants to stay where you are no longer wanted. 

The 4 year guarantee came up many times early on many times on this site. It seems like a great deal until you realize that a bat boy scholarship only goes so far.

PO jr is now enrolled in a good business school, with a smaller athlelic scholarship to play on a DII baseball team that is rebuilding.

If there is a moral to the story I'll let you know once I figure it out.

Bottom line, play ball as long as you can without forgetting that your education is important.