Skip to main content

Reply to "It can be a business and a tough one"

What a great thread with so many diverse opinions and stories.  I think the title is perfect - it is a business, and it's a tough one.  In my opinion, it is a tough business, and the playing field isn't always level.  Coaches and universities understand it well, players and families (of prospective incoming players) simply do not.  I think that's why it is so often viewed as unfair, and why there are so many tales of disappointment and situations not working out as players and families had hoped. 

I do think that there is terrific value in the lessons learned by playing baseball in college.  My biased view as a Dad of one playing in college, and soon to be two, is that the experience will make them better men, and someday to be better emplyees with solid careers.  I flatly disagree with the premise that it is just a piece of paper and it doesn't matter where it comes from.  I just don't think that's true, but I respect those who may not share the view.  Son 1 utilized his baseball skill to gain admission into a high academic D1 school that I don't believe he could have gained admission to otherwise.  I believe that decision, to forgo several opportunities to play at a higher baseball level, will pay dividends for the rest of his life.  Others may disagree.  He will get to maintain his passion to play and derive all the associated benefits. 

Good luck to all.

Last edited by 9and7dad