Skip to main content

Reply to "It is Past Time to Face Reality"

PitchingFan posted:

I have come to realize that I do not think we live in a society that values life.  We say we do but that is very limited.  I do not plan to get into a political, religious, or philosophical debate.  But would love to hear your opinions.  The numbers on so many levels about our society do not show that we value the life of others from the unborn to the sick to the elderly to the vulnerable.  There are those who value it on some level but do not on other levels.  They value it in relationship to their immediate family but do not for others.  I do not consider myself and deep thinker but some of the varying posts I read on here and other places make me wonder where we truly are as a society.

I agree.   Back in the day, people knew a percentage of their children would die from things we find are common and curable now.  I can not imagine it.   Do I think we should all just wear masks and get back out there now? No. But one thing I have learned from having an immune suppressed husband is WE have to do what we can to keep him safe.   Our friends, baseball family, church and employees all look out for us.    Life is precious.   I  think we think everything is curable, fixable.  We don’t know what real suffering is, real sacrifice.   People don’t want to be inconvenienced.  We all have to make changes to keep our loved ones and others safe from here on out.   We all need to act like everyone is immune compromised.  Next summer, you may not think you need a mask, but maybe there is a grandma that wants to go to her grandsons baseball game.   Will you have a mask handy to put on so she is safer?   We can’t become a third world country over this though either.  We have to work.   Maybe the question isn’t do we value life, but what do we think of death?   We have already been in the house for a month, I am ready to get on with LIFE, with a mask and hand sanitizer of course.  Only a few more weeks...