Skip to main content

Reply to "It is Past Time to Face Reality"

fenwaysouth posted:

...   There is little margin for error here as this is life or death.   I'm more than willing to listen, or read (any) gov't plan for how to avoid this thing if it makes sense.   So, far nobody has come up with a better plan on turning the tide, so yes I'm going along with our govt's plan.   So far it is Virus 76,000....World 0.   Those numbers would be a lot bigger if our govt had not taken the initial steps it did and when it did.   We barely know how to treat the symptoms never mind come up with a vaccine.   Erring on the side of caution is probably wise.  

I don't think people are being soft but I do think people are pushing their luck and doing stupid things.   I've driven around my community (to get groceries) and I've seen some really, really stupid things.   Crowds of people playing basketball in the public parks.   I've seen some local Country Clubs that are open and people are playing tennis & golf.   My own tennis club asked a few of its members via email  if we should open up because the local Country Clubs are open.  My response...hell no!  Are you kidding me?   For those people making a conscious (stupid) decision to take a large risk to play hoops, golf, tennis, any activity that involves people (besides getting food & essentials) during the height of a worldwide pandemic I wish them well, but I'm convinced this is Darwin's theory of evolution at work.  There is only one choice at this time...stay at home!

As always, JMO.  Stay safe!

Fenway, admittedly, my wife and i have been taking some liberties that we feel is reasonably safe to ourselves and others but helps keep us from feeling completely shuttered and helps keep us staying relatively positive through this thing.  I'm sure this is largely due to the area we live... while in California, we are in a fairly remote area on the Central Coast, surrounded by even more remote land and wilderness.  Our town is a population of about 7K, our county has less than 100 cases with 1 death.  

Our state is on lockdown.  The liberties we are taking are many of the things you refer to and I am certainly open to learning more and adjusting to what we should be doing.  We walk the neighborhood every day.  We go out and jog or bike every day, rarely coming in the vicinity of any other people and allowing proper spacing when we do.  We have played tennis a few times at the local school - 4 courts and finding that we were either alone or three courts away from anyone else.  We played golf once - the local course seems to have taken smart precautions.  You pay through a window where the card machine is cleaned after each use, we walked (didn't use cart) and each hole has a foam cylinder in it so you never pull the flag or reach in the cup for your ball.  I don't think we ever came within 50 yds of anyone aside from the guy in the window with the mask and wipes.  On weekends, we have been going to fairly remote hiking locations (but not difficult for emergency personnel to reach) for one day of scenic hiking.  Again, we rarely run across people.

Interested in your thoughts and anyone else that can shed light on this being a problem.  There are definitely beaches and hiking trails that are too easily accessed and, therefore, often have too many people congregating.  Those, we avoid.  Aside from recognizing that anyone that comes to the courts goes through the same gate (and same handle) and similarly, same window at the course, what are we missing?