Skip to main content

Reply to "It is Past Time to Face Reality"

On the media:  We had a brief golden age in the early days of TV when there were only 3 networks and the equal time rule was in force.  Cronkite, Huntley & Brinkley and their contemporaries do seem measured and moderate in retrospect.  But the rule throughout history was that newspapers (and they were the only game in town for most of the relevant history) chose a side.  While the country was considering whether to ratify the Constitution, there were Federalist and Anti-Federalist newspapers.  Lincoln locked up several Democratic newspaper editors during the Civil War.  William Randolph Hearst was not known for seeking objective reporting at the papers he owned.  

Personally, I don't think it is possible to just report "facts."  It would be incredibly boring, for one; but more importantly, the decisions about which facts to report and which to leave out are hugely important editorial decisions in themselves.  We are fortunate to live in a era when a few keystrokes can call up news from around the world and across the political spectrum.  IMO, it's incumbent on us to seek out different views and form our own opinions as best we can.

In other news, my wife the workaholic is keeping busy doing her job remotely during the week, but on weekends has too much time on her hands.  Today, we had homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and she just took a pie and some meringues out of the oven before starting to make dinner.  Obesity is a risk factor for covid-19, as I recall.  So I may be in trouble, folks...