Skip to main content

Reply to "It is Past Time to Face Reality"

There are two kinds of fake news. Both sides of the political spectrum are guilty. There are the extreme news sites on either side who push unsourced lies and conspiracy. Then there are the more honest reporting sites that tell the truth but mislead by omitting facts that don’t fit their agenda. Unfortunately two formerly very respected sources who used to be “trusted, go to” news sources have fallen into this category ... The NY Times and Washington Post. I don’t know which nationally visible newspapers would fall into this category on the right. I know locally the Boston Herald would. 

When I refer to the Times and the Post as formerly respected it’s based on all media is underwater in terms of trust by the public. 

When you’re reading news sources you have to separate news from opinion. How someone interprets the news is not news. 

As a country we’re in a place I try not to be. People now go to news sources that reinforce their belief system. We have two very diverse sources of news and each one believes the other is fake news. 

I’m a right leaning libertarian. I’m registered as an Independent. I’m not going to BS anyone and say I’m purely independent. Very few Independents are actually independent. They’re people on both sides of the political spectrum who are disgusted enough with their former political party to still be in the party. But they’re more bothered by the opposition party to switch. 

How I try to avoid being fed a mass of one sided information is get my news from a news aggregator. I get the same story reported by multiple sources on both side. Then I apply my beliefs against the various sources of information. I rarely watch cable news opinion shows. 

When I encounter someone whose opinion I disagree rather than mock them I ask, “Why do you believe that to be true?” It’s a way to learn something. Accepting someone believes differently doesn’t mean having to agree with them.

My best friend’s (we were each other’s best man) parents had their career incomes paid for by the government. His career income has some straight from government or been funded by the government. His wife’s career has been the same. 

My parents spent their careers in the corporate world. I started in the corporate world and became an entrepreneur. 

Do you think my friend and I would agree on big government and regulation versus small government and deregulation? Do you think we even attempt to debate it?   

Last edited by RJM