Skip to main content

Reply to "It's more than just talent alone"

Iowamom23 posted:

My son's spring and freshman teams last year had a kid who only catches. So he caught, and was generally regarded as our best catcher at the beginning of the season. But he was lazy at practice and in games, whiny when he didn't bat well and his dad stood down by the dugout and analyzed every at bat and play between innings. 

My son runs on and off the field, is first out of the dugout to congratulate or console his teammates and says coach, if I need to play left bench to give my team the best shot of winning, I'll play left bench. And we never talk to him during games for any reason, or to his coaches at all except to say hi and thanks for helping our son. 

He became the starting catcher. The other kid (and parents) are still trying to figure out why the coaches are "playing favorites."

Attitude and character do matter at all levels. 

There is something here that I see and wonder if people take into account or if I'm missing something.

There is a BIG difference between HS and collage/pro ball. HS coaches at most programs get a lot more leeway in wins/losses than the later do. If your home/collage fund/retirement depends on your winning percentage then your choices on who sits/plays may be more based on talent. Minus the whole dad thing.