Skip to main content

Reply to "It's a small Baseball World, Mr. Bob Williams"

Three Bagger;

Thank you. It only indicates that both Willie
and I are "old". In the book the Willie Mays barnstorming team traveled by car from Victoria to El Paso. This was a report in the El Paso, newspaper

Publication: El Paso Times Date: 11/04/1955
---------------------------------------------------
Major Loop All-Stars Beat Service Nine
"Big hits by the batters and some fine hurling by Connie Johnson of the Chicago White Sox gained the touring major league all-stars at 6-2 victory
over the El Paso Service all-stars before some 2,500 fans at Dudley Field Thursday afternoon. Homerun clouts by Hank Thompson of the Giants, Hank Aaron of the Milwaukee Braves and Ernie Banks of the Chicago Cubs featured the hitting for the visiting stars, who touched four El Paso hurlers for 11 hits. Johnson went the distance and scattered eight hits – three in the seventh inning when the locals got their first run – and struck out 12 batters – in a fine demonstration of control.
Bob Williams, Ft. Bliss first-baseman, provided the big clout for the local team with a solo homer over the left-field fence in the bottom of the ninth inning. Mightiest clout of the game was Banks’ solo belt in the fifth inning. The ball sailed high over the second-deck advertising sign in left filed for one of the longest balls ever hit out of the park.

As a footnote, In our 1996 Goodwill Series with Japan. The Angels asked, if I would "throw out"
the 1st ball at the Yankees/Angles game at Anaheim Stadium. I refuse and mentioned that I would prefer that Mr. H. Makino the President of Japan HS Baseball Federation have this great opportunity.

He was the first Japanese person to have this honor
and it was filmed to 40 million Japanese people.

"Baseball teaches life"and history.

Bob