Skip to main content

Reply to ""Its political""

cabbagedad posted:
SanDiegoRealist posted:

I am seeing a lot of posters who I have never seen post before, that is awesome. Some have a lot of time on the board too...glad to see your responses.

I equate politics to my son in the following way, as it relates to benefitting from them: "Imagine you are coach and you have two guys with the same stats, abilities, etc. competing for the last position on the team. One does everything the coach asks of him, so does the other. But one is clearly more likeable than the other. Which kid gets the nod?"

My wife was a high school teacher before we started our family. Same scenario with students who are borderline on a grade...much easier to help a kid you like than one who is an a-hole.

SDR, in case you are talking about this particular thread as it regards to seeing posters you haven't seen, that is because the bulk of this thread is from 2012 

As far as taking the more likable kid instead of the a-hole, yeah, I'll usually go that route but i do so because the a-hole is more likely to negatively affect the team atmosphere and, thus, the team performance - that's a meaningful tiebreaker.  Sometimes, it depends on what kind of a-hole.  Last year, I was hoping to keep a kid around that most of the other players didn't like.  He was a competitive SOB ( taking it too far at times) and, at the time, the group lacked that edge.  He would have rubbed some the wrong way but would also have raised the bar where it was needed.   I would say my opinion was definitely the minority on that one.  Later, some people came around to seeing it.

Just saw that and edited my post....what a tool!