Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy baseball"

@SpeedDemon posted:

You are thinking in the past.

And I get it - it's hard to get one's mind around a world where the number of overall scholarships vary by conference, where equivalency/headcount goes away, where the fixed number of scholarships per sport is eliminated and replaced by an overall number of scholarships per school that they then allocate, where schools combine needs-based with merit-based, where colleges aren't allowed to claim that they're better off not providing the full range of assistance so they can spread the wealth more evenly,  etc etc.

But it's coming.

The schools are simply sitting on too much money. And the annual cost of attendance, even for some lower income and middle income families receiving FA, and especially upper for dual income families making $250,000+ year which are the bread and butter of the HA circuit, is simply too high.

I'll wager that within 5 years the P5/FBS schools are paying football and mens basketball players for their attendance. And the Ivies offer athletic scholarships.

Change is good!

OK, this I can agree with. But lots of changes are needed first and so my only disagreement is implying Ivies can make the change now. They cannot without NCAA changes happening first.