Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy baseball"

Still don’t see how you can force them to pay merit money. Maybe they can’t restrict outside money sources but I don’t see the language forcing the actual schools to pay. And as Absorber pointed out, those in need get money. I wouldn’t say extremely wealthy are the only ones paying full rate, those those that do can certainly afford to do so.

One area they could have issues is negotiating the aid award with athletes. Do they do this with non-athletes? One Ivy coach openly told the athlete to bring any award offer from another Ivy and they would match it. Maybe he knew they’d be the same?

Might be a good time to remind folks that there is no lawsuit against the Ivies right now. What I've been writing about is their *exposure* to future lawsuits based on recent changes at the NCAA and in Federal law.
What's not under consideration is whether one family gets more money from needs-based aid vs athletic scholarships, or the amount of scholarship at one school vs another.

SCOTUS said colleges must make available to students all types of aid they can, ie. they cannot restrict the financial benefit related to a students education.

Saying that they won't provide athletic scholarships, despite being D1 and being allowed to offer athletic scholarships, is price-fixing, i.e. limiting the schools financial outlay and requiring families to pay more than they otherwise would, if athletic money was in play.

Now, a lot of folks have pointed out that needs-based can't be combined with athletic-based money. But that too is a fiction, made up by the schools to limit their outlay - another form of price-fixing.

While there is currently no law or ruling forcing the Ivies to offer athletic scholarships, they are very exposed to lawsuits that will require them to.

Their lack of acknowledgement of merit-based aid is a dog that don't hunt no more.

Last edited by SpeedDemon