Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy/High Academic Schools and Rigor"

My son is an Ivy League pitcher, so I'll attempt an answer; please remember that every individual is different and this posting won't apply to every situation. 

While the HC can advocate for his recruits, each player still needs to be voted on by the full admission committee and needs to meet the general standard for each school.  These are the general course recommendations for high school applicants (quoted)

• The study of English for four years: close and extensive reading of the classics of the world’s literature
  • Four years of a single foreign language
  • The study of history for at least two years, and preferably three years: American history, European history, and one additional advanced history course
  • The study of mathematics for four years. (Your student doesn't need to take Calculus, although most of his peers will have; he does need to take a senior math course like Stat or maybe a computer science with math.)
  • The study of science for four years: physics, chemistry, and biology, and preferably one of these at an advanced level
  • Frequent practice in the writing of expository prose"

So, I think your student needs to pick up a foreign language, an English course, and take physics.   I don't think any particular credit is awarded at the Ivy Leagues for AP scores because there is a separate placement test for every level of math and language once the student is admitted.

I don't think 8th-grade courses count at all, by the way.

And Ivy League schools promise to meet financial need.  So there is money available depending on your situation.  There is no individual athletic money, no tutoring services, no special meals, and barely any bling of any kind.  Also, the season is one week shorter.  On the flip side, conference play is relatively close by and there is not much horrible travel except for in the pre-season.

Hope this helps!