Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy League gets 13 drafted"

Congrats to these Ivy kids!  And same for the D3 guys!!

With two sons playing in college, I've had the good fortune of seeing a lot of these boys play. 

When I was a parent of high school players and in the youth travel ball and LL years before that, I really didn't understand what it takes for a young man to make a college roster.  Or make one at a high academic college.  And I certainly didn't understand what it takes for a college player to be successful and be drafted.

We have a lot of threads on here from time to time about what velocity a pitcher needs to have to play at a certain level or exit velocity / bat speed or running speed or ACT or whatever...I used to think that it would be "easier" for my guys to play at an academic school or in D3.  Ha!!!

The reality is there is tremendous talent at all levels of college baseball.  Tools matter.  Test scores and grades matter.  Training gets better and better.  Work ethic matters.  Players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger.  A lot of kids throw 88 mph or run a 6.7 or are 6'2" and 195 lbs. or have a 30 ACT.  The competition for roster spots is fierce.  A kid has to want to play at the collegiate level and has to want to do the work to make that happen on and off the field.  And they have to be seen by the colleges on their vetted (academically and athletically) list of schools.  There's no magic; there's no silver bullet.     

Kudos to these young men!