Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy League gets 13 drafted"

Branson Baseball posted:

Congrats to these Ivy kids!  And same for the D3 guys!!

The reality is there is tremendous talent at all levels of college baseball.  Tools matter.  Test scores and grades matter.  Training gets better and better.  Work ethic matters.  Players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger.  A lot of kids throw 88 mph or run a 6.7 or are 6'2" and 195 lbs. or have a 30 ACT.  The competition for roster spots is fierce.  A kid has to want to play at the collegiate level and has to want to do the work to make that happen on and off the field.  And they have to be seen by the colleges on their vetted (academically and athletically) list of schools.  There's no magic; there's no silver bullet.     

Kudos to these young men!

You got that right!   You can have enough talent,  but if you don't have the drive to maximize the talent,  you'll still never ever make it.  Speaking from personal experience,  I'm still 100% convinced mine had and has the talent.  And in HS,  it sure seemed like he had the drive, given all the crap he persevered through.   But once he got a clear eyed look at what it  takes to succeed at college baseball, even in a top drawer D3 program, (one that finally won a D3 World Series) while trying to be a successful student,  he decided enough was enough and hung up the cleats.  Those guys that stick it out, and push themselves to succeed, have done something truly special.   Especially if they do it at an IVY.  I mean, wow!

Last edited by SluggerDad