Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy League Recruiting"

Originally Posted by Branson Baseball:

.  The ACT/SAT scores are higher, but these kids can play too.

I agree.  Some of these kids can really play, however the talent is not as deep as some of the higher level conferences (as we would expect).

Phillyball,

You are correct.  It probably will come down to SAT or ACT scores for your son....it usually does for most people considering this path.  Many that know me have often heard me refer to Ivy recruiting process as a "guantlet". However, if you make it through the "guantlet", you could have some leverage with multiple Ivys.  That is a really good thing.

Some of the best Ivy position players I've seen over the last few years are not physical specimens.  They have a smaller strike zone.  If you walk them you're screwed.  If you pitch to them they can hit, and some of them can hit for power.   These guys have incredible hands and timing.  Size is for the "TV confererences"; ACC, PAC10, Big12 and SEC.  .

You specifically mentioned Penn business.  I wouldn't necessarily cross any college off the list for any reason until you know for sure.  Trust me on this.   My son applied into an Ivy engineering school with a 7% admission rate.  One of the reasons I think he got in was because he throws a baseball very fast.  Never underestimate the Ivy athletic hook if your son can back it up with academic and athletic credentials.  JMO.

Ivy conference games are weekends only, so you should be able to see a few games. Penn's home games are March 29/30 (Yale/Brown), April 12-13 (Cornell) and April 25-26 (Columbia).   They play a 7 and 9 inning double header on Sat and Sunday for 5 weeks.  If your son is interested in Penn, now is a good time to show that interest by reaching out to the coaches and getting some face time with them at a few games.  They have a new coach who wants to turn the program around in the (currently) tougher Gehrig division (Columbia, Cornell, Princeton).  He is going to need talent, and now.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.