Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy League Recruiting"

Sort of 2019Dad.  Definitely the higher the baseball ability, the more leniency in scores/grades with scores mattering more in the Ivy Academic Index.  Yale RC says all the time they have an average AC score of 31.  That means some higher, some lower, and depending how much lower it means the onus is on the coach to keep the balance.  One of my sons with a near perfect SAT score was told by an Ivy coach (in another sport), and I quote him directly, "If I take you, I can take 2 dumbasses." In 2017 there were PG posted (self reported of course and not verified!) ACT scores as low as 26 where the player reported an Ivy commitment.  Gotta think they were highly desirable on the baseball front.  Of course one has to wonder if a low score on these standardized tests indicate that highly rigorous academic environments would be the best fit, but that's not for me to judge.  

Also the number of slots is different by school and by year.  In 2017, one Ivy had only 5 slots, while most seemed to have 7.  I believe all Ivies now able to take transfers (Princeton was last to cave here) so that is a growing chunk of their recruiting classes too.  

But to answer the questions, offers usually only come after a pre read from admissions where they let the coach know that the recruit is admissable.  It is just too hard to give anyone any kind of offer without knowing that admission to ANY highly selective school (not just D1) gives the coach the green light.