Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy League Recruiting"

2019Dad posted:

Three now for Penn. And it stands to reason that if three have announced commitments, others may have been offered. 

For those who have been through Ivy recruiting, when it's relatively early in the process -- well, I would've thought September of junior year is relatively early, but given what is going on with Penn, maybe it's not -- how forthcoming were the coaches in answering a "where am I on your board?" question? I mean, are they trying to lock down recruits early (like most schools) or are they waiting for test scores?

To my earlier point and post, these are probably commits that are getting strong interest from other D1 schools or even other Ivys.  If these recruits/commits have extremely strong academics then there may be a fit here, and my question to them would be....did you consider Stanford?   However, if they don't have those very strong academics there is a risk, and it falls 100% on the recruit.  

If this was my kid, and I knew what I know now there were be a definitive plan B and C if he was committing to an Ivy this early.  My son had strong academics, but to commit this far in advance (unnecessarily) would not have been a good idea for him.   I hope that adds some context.   As always, JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth