Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Advice 2021"

Top 5 list

1) Communication - Be proactive.  Send an introductory notes to the RCs with highlighted metrics, pitching video link, and follow up with a phone call.  Be persistent.   If your travel coach/high school coach is involved in your recruiting efforts include them.  They can help.

2) Academic Metrics - Ivy coaches are not going to seriously consider or recruit you until you have the necessary metrics that they can run by admissions.   PSAT means very little unless you are throwing 90+.   Based on your current velocity (not projected) you probably need to score higher on your SAT/ACT.   This is all about peaking their interest and using your academic and athletic skills as a "hook".   The quicker you are able to get your academic numbers in line the better your chances and timing for the coaches.

3) If you were my son, I would suggest that you get the idea of "I have to go to an Ivy League school" out of your head.   You have a lot to offer.  You're a smart kid.  The Ivy League is an athletic conference...these schools are very different from each other.  Look at other options that meet your life goals.  There are plently of awesome schools out there that want to recruit students that also want to play baseball.   The ivy schools just happen to be 8 schools that are pretty darn good.   There are more, many more.

4)Keep improving and working on your academic #s and pitching technique.   I've been there.  My oldest son worked hard at it, and then finally one day it happened.   He threw 90 in an indoor bullpen session before his junior year season.   He figured it out, and was able to hit 90+ in a game with college coaches watching.  His simple secret...relax.

5) You need help.  Is your travel coach, high school coach able to help you open recruiting doors?   It is one thing to talk about yourself (some people are very uncomfortable with it), but to have somebody with a baseball background vouch for you takes it to another level.   Don't try to do this all by yourself.  Seek advice from people that can help you navigate this.   It is very difficult and maddening process.

As always, JMO.  Good luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth