Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy To Allow Seniors to Play as Grad Students"

Let's be fair.  On this forum, athletics is the most important thing there is.  For the rest of the people at a college, sports seem pretty frivolous.  If I were on a college debate team or in a musical group or a researcher, I'd be pretty pissed off if I were told I couldn't gather to debate or make music or attend a conference, but the baseball team could travel to play sports.  And it would not be a question of virus safety, but a question about why a college would spend money to keep sports going but not spend money to allow other kinds of activities.  I don't doubt that to do all activities safely (even just all sports) would cost a lot of money.  Big-time televised college sports that make money are different.  Ivy League sports, not really.

I agree that the players are being wronged.  My son is in the same boat, I'm pretty mad about it.  But, so are all the debaters, dancers, musicians, actors, model UN-ers, etc.  Some of them will have opportunities to do their activity in the future, some won't.  My older son graduated college last spring; he lost the end of his senior year, graduation, last semester of various activities, etc.  It sucks for everyone.

For that matter, the Ivy League said that teams could play locally; that's more than some schools are getting.  I hope that Ivy League baseball players are signed up for summer leagues (and I hope that those can happen).

Yes, I agree with this which is why the Ivy will get away with it. It still sucks.

The next question is:

Will players lose a year of eligibility if they play local teams? I have heard that may be a possibility...