Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy To Allow Seniors to Play as Grad Students"

I think everybody can agree the Ivy Presidents have handled the Covid-19 communication, leadership, etc poorly for Ivy athletics.  I was giving them a slight break in their 2020 Covid policy, but there are no excuses for lack of communication in 2021. 

I've read everybody's post in this thread and I think the real point has been missed.   The bottom line is the Ivy Presidents  really don't rank athletics high on their big-picture priority list.  There I said it, and this isn't the first time I've kicked the hornets nest.   They view and treat students and student/athletes as the same.   

Athletics play a very minor role on an Ivy campus.  Most programs are self funded.  Athletics do not bring in revenue.   Tens of thousands of people aren't flocking to an Ivy athletic event...it is nothing like an Ohio State/Michigan football game or an ACC baseball game.  Almost all of the Ivy recruited student athletes that attend one of these schools is focused on their studies, and they have a competitive passion for a sport that will end when they graduate.   My son and I knew this when he committed...there was going to be no hoopla with regards to Ivy athletics.  If my son wanted hoopla, he would have selected a different D1 school.   Frankly I'm a lot surprised that some folks are expecting an "Ivy leopard to change its spots".  Covid has changed lives across the globe.  It sucks and we've all had to adapt to a new way of life.  My heart goes out to those that have worked hard to get that Ivy baseball opportunity and they are still waiting to play.     

I'm not defending the Ivy Presidents actions or inactions but I'm pointing out what is real.   In my world, actions speak louder than words and the actions of the Ivy Presidents tell me everything I need to know about how they view Ivy athletics relative to the rest of the student body...they are one and the same and treated as one and the same.   Their minds are about making money, managing a pile of money, corporate partnerships, research and bringing in the best professors and students they can get. 

Again, just my two cents.....