Skip to main content

Reply to "Ivy To Allow Seniors to Play as Grad Students"

1. @Chico Escuela posted:

I think (?) the rule is that D3 schools may only offer, at most, one D1 sport for men, and one for women.  I imagine the Ivies would be reluctant to have to drop all but, say, hockey to D3.  And to hold the conference together, I think all or most of the members would need to choose to keep the same sport in D1 (rather than have, say four Ivy League D1 hockey teams and four D3.)

The recent decision about spring sports may drive away a few recruits.  But it seems to me the great majority of Ivy players are still going to be interested in the the cachet that comes with degrees from those schools.  (Not saying the hype is justified--just observing that the hype is out there.)   Most Ivy baseball players aren't MLB prospects and aren't being recruited by top D1 programs.  As a 2021 or later HS grad, I'd feel pretty safe betting that the 2020 and '21 seasons are a proverbial "black swan," and that baseball will be played in Cambridge, New Haven, et al. in future springs.  (Famous last words, I know...)

The Ivies compete in two hockey conferences. The Ivy League Conference doesn’t qualify teams for the NCAA hockey tournament. It’s the ECAC tournament that qualifies them for the tournament. The Ivy league isn’t guaranteed anything. Penn and Columbia don’t have hockey programs.

Last edited by RJM