Skip to main content

Reply to "Jalen Hurt"

Likewise I'm not an Alabama fan but love seeing how they compete and stay at the top.  I think what Hurts did and how he handled himself has been very admirable.  He's definitely a fine example of sportsmanship, and clearly did what's best for the team and the coaching staff.  But...

Did he hurt his future by staying and not playing?  Any kid who goes to Alabama as QB has to have the NFL in his sights, as I'm sure he did.  It's easy to say he's awesome for staying, but how many adults leave a job because someone else got the promotion, or for a better opportunity, or to in some way advance their career.  College football is a business and these kids have goals, and how many adults criticize kids for looking out for their own interests?  At some point we all have to make decisions about what is best for us.

It bothers me a little that I see so many coaches promoting his action as admirable, but how much self-interest is in these comments?  What coach at any level wouldn't want their best player to stick around and help him win?  Coaches have self-interest too, and it seems like the message is slanted towards "it's all about the team", but I haven't seen a single story about how this might have negatively impacted Hurts' own future in football.  Maybe he felt that he wasn't an NFL-type QB and Alabama was it, and if so that would be fine.  But I'd like to hear this side of the story.