Skip to main content

Reply to "James"

Hey all. Coming up for air. I’ll give you the good, the bad and in between. So the good news is James was apparently very wanted by both sides. The Padres tried to hold on and the Nationals insisted. So that is comforting and encouraging and very humbling especially since most of the DC fan base just hates the ownership for trading Soto. James is going from a team that is investing in winning (although obviously very willing to…well…sell the farm to do so) to one that is being sold, which is unsettling. He was truly happy with an incredible experience with the Padres and made good friends with players and built great relationships with the coaches, trainers, administrators and fans. The business side of all of this is brutal and abrupt. You know that in theory but the reality of a 19 year old on a bus with his team, with a window that won’t quite close…halfway through a 5 hour ride to a 6-game away series… finding out he was being traded at the same time and the same way the rest of the baseball world did…well that’s the reality. He didn’t get a call for at least and hour (because things weren’t finalized). Then he had a very kind call with the GM. He gets to the game and is just kinda hanging out in the locker room alone with no clue what the next step were. I think once he’s back on a field he will be fine but this part is a little messy. He is being flown to the Low game (they are currently away in NC)  

We are excited that it will be much easier to get to games. We are worried about the additional pressure and distractions of being a home town kid. We are excited that the pathway to promotions is more open with the National (God-willing) and not looking forward to having to learn a whole new organization and even spring training local. Although the good part of spring training is he’s close to @TPM !!!

I was talking to my college roommate who is an ordained minister and she said one sentence that settled my heart. She said “may his tribe increase.” He’s a great kid and a great player. Now he will get to know more people and more people will get to know him. He will keep working hard and the rest is out of our hands. At least he’s following the HSBBW motto of going where you are loved with the pro ball caveat of “not that you had a damn choice.” 😂

Thanks so much guys! You are the best.