Skip to main content

Reply to "Jimmy Barnes 2015 SS/3B Deep Creek HS, VA"

A little perspective from one of the "old guard" here.

Many of us who contribute to this website hold a deep-seated belief that players and their families are not only entirely capable of directing their own recruiting processes; but that they also benefit immensely from doing so. An important part of this site's reason for being has always been to provide the resources to make that possible.

Thousands of players have taken the advice available here and put it to use to their benefit. It is for this reason that many of us continue to contribute after gaining so much from the site.

In my own case, I've had...and continue to have...the opportunity to talk with baseball coaches at all levels who recruit. When the subject of recruiting services comes up in conversations with them, it invariably elicits a response that is several times greater than that seen in this thread. 

I could go on and on, relating the responses I've heard; but, suffice to say that they tend to view recruiting services with an extremely jaundiced eye. They're notorious for exaggerating the qualities of the players they represent, and they're disrespected for encouraging their clients to broadcast pumped up emails and letters to any and all of the programs they have in their database.

So, to recap:

(1) We have a website that contains all the information needed to carry out a successful recruiting process.

(2) Many of us have benefited from having taken responsibility for our recruiting process.

(3) Many of us get angry when parties try to take advantage of the prospect of the site's free advertising potential.

(4) Those of us who know how many recruiters feel about recruiting services are compelled to speak up when those services come on here touting their capabilities.

Finally, if you're employed by a service that is compensated by its clients to promote them, you are a "paid representative."

Last edited by Prepster