Skip to main content

Reply to "Jimmy Barnes 2015 SS/3B Deep Creek HS, VA"

Bobby,

I'm going to let someone correct me if I'm wrong, so I'm sure there will be a follow-up to this post. Bear with me here. 

We have provided over 3500 passwords to college coaches so they can view our database , (all FREE of Charge)

Over the last 4 years we have added over 20,000 players to our database.  We can see which college coaches log in and review information.  Believe me we are credible to them. 

I think some people here are taking exception to the perceived tone of the above two paragraphs. I have absolutely no doubt that you are trying to help players. I love seeing that. Players need advocates…especially advocates that 1) know what they're doing, and 2) know people in the game. However, from an outsider's standpoint, the above quote could be construed as marketing your business. While it is free for coaches to enter the database and you are giving players free "publicity" by posting their information in baseball-specific places (again, I am not opposed to this), the very first thing that jumps out on the website for your company is a sign-up for an event (that was, by the way, 5 weeks ago) in which players pay to attend.

I am NOT opposed to organizations profiting off of the ability to help advocate for players. But I think some of the pushback you're receiving is coming from the fact that this website is a free service. I have seen many people come on here and use the bandwidth to advertise their business. While I don't think you're blatantly doing this in a sense that you're solely attempting to use this website to make a profit, I do think that some of your posts come off as such.

There are two posters here, off the top of my head, that sometimes use the message boards to promote their respective businesses (both of which are a similar business to the one that you run). One's name is PGStaff, the other is PIS. Both of these people are paying sponsors of the website, helping to financially support the message boards that have been here for over a decade.

I'm not accusing you of any wrongdoings. I'm simply trying to explain what I believe is happening. If anyone else reading along feels any differently, please feel free to chime in.

Sincerely,

A Fellow Advocate

Last edited by J H