Reply to "Joe Morgan says...."

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog 19:
quote:
If you personally don't do a warm up set before you actually lift, then either

1. You don't lift much weight
2. You truly don't know what you are doing
3. A combination of the both

I'm only gonna hit on this point for now as I'm on my way out the door to go work out in fact. I never was super-strong (max bench 190, max squat 315, max clean 215). I've taken a 2-year hiatus from lifting consistently unforunately due to being lazy and not motivated to work out.

I'm in my 7th week of my new workout plan which I've spent the first 6 weeks focused on mastering form and getting my body used to lifting again. The most weight I will do this afternoon is about 150 pounds for a set of 5.

I will ask again, if you had Zack in front of you, knowing his max squat was 205lbs what would you have him do for a warmup.

At least you are honest and accountable about being lazy and not being motivated. That is really the first step to changing. But I thought you worked in a gym?

And let me get this straight, let's say I squat 250lbs-you are telling me I should just walk in the gym and put 185lbs on the bar and start working out? Wow, guess I am doing it all wrong.

Zack's s&c coach at the high school says he should put 135lbs on the bar and do 3 sets of 10 keeping a close stance. He routinely tells the kids "great job" even though they are on the balls of their feet with their knees shooting forward 8-10 inches.