Skip to main content

Reply to "John McCain and Ted Williams"

@Consultant posted:

ADBONO;

You are correct!!

Bob

Just remembered something that I’ve been meaning to ask you. During my senior year in college Coach Chandler had arranged for an all-star team from Japan to play us in our stadium. Did you have something to do with that? There was a big pre-game ceremony but the game wasn’t played due to wet grounds (we had at least 8 games rained out that spring - mostly midweek and all non-conference. I lost 3 starts because of that). Since we didn’t get to play we all milled around on the field and of course a baseball appeared from somewhere. Somehow, in spite of a language barrier, there was an implied challenge to a game of burnout. I was our hardest thrower (notice I didn’t say best pitcher all you people hung up on metrics) so I got paired with the guy that was their hardest thrower and we flung a few at each other. It was all very schoolyard-ish and there was no winner or loser. But honestly it was kinda cool. Just baseball bridging a gap between two cultures that could hardly be more different. I’m guessing you were involved somehow. Yes?