Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by joes87:

I've posted this before, but I think I will repeat it again.  I had the opportunity to have a semi-private discussion with Buddy Bell.  Buddy is now in charge of scouting for the White Sox.  One of the topics he talked about was specialization in sports.  He was very much against is and said that he preferred athletes who played multiple sports.  Main reasons were, they have seen way too many overuse injuries, burnout, kids were coached up way too much leaving little potential upside, and he felt multi-sport athletes were more competitive then a single sport athlete. 

Son's RC said the same thing as Bell noted above. 2015 played 4 sports in HS. Played baseball 4 years, soccer 4 years, indoor track 3, and freshman basketball.Knew he would shed basketball first as he is under 6 foot, and would have likely been the 14th player on a 15 player JV team, perhaps getting a minute every so many games. From basketball he developed his upper body, toughness (taking charges from people 50+ lbs bigger), and endurance. Soccer helped speed and lateral movement and he developed big calf muscles during the season. Would throw in ball when out of bounds, especially if it was <25 yards from goal. Indoor track helped with his technique in running; coaches fine-tuned his sprinting. Credits track for helping lower his 60 and HTF times. Developed strong upper leg/thigh muscles in track. Baseball was all about increasing bat speed and arm strength for him, which were different muscles then those he used to throw a soccer ball.

After his last track meet his senior year (around March), son looks at me and says, "Dad,  I am now a 1 sport athlete."