Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Originally Posted by 2019Dad:

Originally Posted by infielddad:

It seems so interesting that each time this gets posted and discussed, (a lot on this site!) posters seem to grasp onto ideologies and preconceived notions.

For me, this is just a learning experience to understand other ideas and to consider them, not reject them without consideration.

For me, pointing to 1st and 2nd round picks is of little help.  The discussion is for the vast majority of players and their parents, most of whom may not ever hear their son's name called during the draft, but they are pushing really really hard to get that direction(and pushing many others along the way).

As TPM noted, one of the major issues is the TJ's for kids who are 14/15/16/17.

I guess Dr Andrews could be wrong but, for this poster, there isn't anything posted thus far to suggest anyone has more and better experience than he does.

Fair enough. I don't think the 1st or 2nd round data has anything to do with TJ -- at least I didn't intend it to. It's a different point about multisport athletes. Every time I see someone like Buddy Bell say that "he preferred athletes who played multiple sports" . . . um, I'm skeptical, to say the least. Really, I think the whole "multisport" argument in the baseball world is code for "football makes you tough" . . . 

2019 don't get me started...   preaching to the choir on the big bad tough football player thing.  Caco you make a lot of really good points.  Would like to think its not all genetic and a kid can work hard to succeed.  But you are undeniably correct that we have yet to pinpoint how to actually keep arms safe.

Like I said!!!!!