Skip to main content

Reply to "John Smoltz's HOF speech on specialization"

Originally Posted by Diamond Dogs:

Last night the Astros were playing the Angels on television.  The youngest starting pitcher in baseball Lance McCullers (specialized in baseball).  The youngest player in the Major Leagues Carlos Correa (specialized in baseball) The star of the game Altuve (specialized in baseball). Two HRs by Astros Tucker and Singleton (both specialized in baseball).  Home Run by Angels Pujols (specialized in baseball) catcher for the Astros Conger (specialized in baseball). The games best player Trout (specialized in baseball). The list goes on and on of the top players in the game that specialized in baseball when they were young.

Trout lettered in baseball and basketball in HS.  I haven't checked the others yet.

My son specialized in one sport in HS. But from grade school on until HS, he played other sports, volleyball, soccer, golf, basketball, bowling, swimming, etc. He did not specialize in baseball until HS.

The point being, he didnt play baseball 365 a year and didnt play baseball and other sports at the same time.

I think that is the point of the whole speech he made, but that is MO only.